Friday, August 12, 2011

Restoring the Light: Redesigning Yost

So I just recently did an overhaul of Yost. I was dying too much in BGs and I wasn't healing that great either.

Spec:

I changed my spec from Holy to Discipline.  
Why the change?
  • Chastise just isn't doing it for me.
  • I found myself never using Desperate Prayer and when I did it did almost nothing.
  • Renew was WAY to weak and my overall healing seemed lacking
So why Disc?
  • Imp PW:Shield is really good. I've knocked it in the past, but man ... It's good.
  • Penance ticks higher than my normal heals were ticking for and in a pinch can be used for damage.
  • 15% Intellect is INSANE! I not only get a larger mana pool, but my spell power and crit is increased by a large margin.
 


Improved Power Word: Shield - Rank 2/2
Increases the damage absorbed by your Power Word: Shield by 20%.

Twin Disciplines - Rank 3/3
Increases your Shadow and Holy spell damage and healing by 6%.

Mental Agility - Rank 1/3
Reduces the mana cost of your instant cast spells by 4%.






As I said before, Imp PW:Shield is amazing. Twin Disciplines affects all my spells instead of just Renew and my healing spells which is another plus. Twin Disciplines seems to also buff up my PW:Shield. My final point I put into Mental Agility just to have cheaper spells. I debated putting it into:
Inner Sanctum - Rank 1/3
Your Inner Fire also reduces all spell damage taken by 2% while it is active, and the movement speed bonus of your Inner Will is increased by 2%.
While a small amount, reducing damage by any amount is something I would gladly take. I don't see damaging spells being huge right now, mostly getting hit by Rogues and Hunters.
Soul Warding - Rank 1/2
Reduces the cooldown of your Power Word: Shield ability by 1 sec.
I find that PW:Shield stays up long enough that I can slap another one on without worrying about the CD. Also, if I reduce the CD by 1 second, I still need to wait for the Weakened Soul debuff to go away before I can even use PW:Shield again.

Gear:

I turned my sights to getting as much Intellect as possible. I can still do this while having a decent enough health pool to not die in one, maybe even two hits, but I am not aiming to do damage. I heal and put SW:Pain on Rogues so they can't stealth.

Head - Tiger Eyes Goggles >> Lucky Fishing Hat
Shoulder - Slime-Encrusted Pads/Feline Mantle
Chest - Je'neu's Robes (+20 Mana)
Back - Tumultuous Cloak...of the Sorcerer (+10 Armor)
Wrist - Crystalline Cuffs >> Mindthrust Bracers (+1 Spirit)
Hands - Serpent Gloves (Med Armor Kit)
Waist - Ghamoo-Ra's Bind
Legs - Silk-Threaded Trousers (Med Armor Kit)
Feet - Corpse Rompers (Med Armor Kit)

Finger - Black Widow Band
Finger - Seal of Argas
Trinket - Rune of Perfection
Trinket - Insignia of the Horde
Neck - Brilliant Necklace

TwoHand - Rod of the Sleepwalker (+3 Int) [Wiz Oil +7 Int]

So now I will be putting my time into working on Yost and healing peoples faces off in BGs. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to hit me up on Twink Info.com or leave a comment here.

~Zuty

3 comments:

  1. A bit silly to not be using Disc to begin with, PW:S has been buffed insanely since Cata came out and Penance is, well, Penance. If you're ever played a Priest you should have been inclined to go Disc immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was Holy back on my 19 twink and I heard of some people going Disc for the Imp PW:S, but I liked healing. I think something changed between that time and now, because I am the opposite.

    Also, I tanked two 24 Hunters today long enough for them to die from the other players on my team x3

    ~Zuty

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then you run into a single toon who knows how to dispel and your shield is a death trap. xD

    As a priest your survival is the main concern, should you be singled out and targeted by everyone(which is often the case), you need to make them work their asses off to get you down.

    Desperate prayer combined with other "escape tools" is excellent for when you need to make a tactical retreat. For most priests this equals an extra healing potion but does not trigger the GCD and may be cast at the same time as skills like Lifeblood, Stoneform & Gift of the Naaru.
    If your being chased by a single toon you can throw a chastice while running away.

    15% intellect from discipline tree is almost the same as 15% healing boost from holy tree but as the healing boost also affects PW: shield the bonus of Improved Power Word: Shield is nearly matched.

    Pennance is possibly a good skill but I dont like the idea of having to stand still while casting, makes you very vulnerable.

    Pick Holy tree instead and keep yourself a moving target!

    ReplyDelete